26 March 2013

midweek messiness & flowers to boot

life is often the dance of the stitch in between the thread of the needle and the cloth that binds it. that small space that closes down on the looping string and the scrubbed patch of cotton. the hollow embroidery & the test of the needle against your skin. 
life fills me up messy some days. even when the stitch is tight and the the day is all mended. life means messy. & beautiful. acrid. unclear. sweet. gooey. loving. unkind. passionate. dull. I keep searching for all the ways that I am supposed to make myself work a bit better. make life a bit neater. fix wounds and tie shoelaces and unlock the secrets shelved in
forgotten lockers. find my right path that works for me & all my mess.

but life fills me up messy some days. children fill me up messy some days. they make mess & cling to it in ways I never suspected they could. yesterday I cleaned off our dining room table, watching the way the water and the soap cleared away the particles of boy tatters and things. Today I cleaned the table again & was amazed how calm I felt clearing away the dusty bits of food stuck there. wiping the wood clean so it can invite something else upon it.                       & in this moment I realized how much I ever so need the messy in my life. I  thrive in the chaos and in the calming of the cleaning and the clearing. 
                                            I need the messy so I can see all the beauty that is blown around my life, & how quiet it feels when I clear off the couch in the early morning to drink my coffee. & how calm it feels when i watch the tiny bubbles blow across a clean table. how lovely it feels when the light catches against flowers ever so messy and unkept from the garden, dropping petals by the dozens across my now clean but unkempt table; how the light catches, scooping life up and making things: making flowers & leaves & messy petals clear. 

hope you all are enjoying your midweek (messy or not). the camellias are from our backyard, outside our bedroom window.
                      PS: lesson learned this week in "my life is my school for photography&art": light is really the best filter there is. nothing, really nothing is better than natural light. it illuminates everything. everything! & then there is the practice&practice. & the patience. xxoo

what engages you in the day to day?  how do you tread water & find moments for yourself in the sticky & the undone? xo

22 comments:

  1. light is really the best filter there is. May light illuminate my messy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Deb for you very sweet words. and what a week to illuminate messy! xo

      Delete
  2. Love this pictures, so dreamy! /maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so kind Maria. Look forward to your nature find this week! xo

      Delete
  3. Oh beautiful!!! I think your photography is lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lou! thank you ever so much! It means loads to me that you think the photos work well in this post. Photography is a learning I am really enjoying! Loving your series. xo

      Delete
  4. You write beautifully! I mean, really really beautifully! I didnt even look at your photos, I scrolled right past them as I was so caught up in your words.
    I did scroll back up once I reached the end, and you take a mean photo as well!!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Georgie, thank you ever so much for your kind, kind words! I am blushing with your compliment. hope that you are having a lovely down-hill slope end of your week and a lovely weekend ahead. thanks so for leaving me a note! xo

      Delete


  5. Lovely photo's!
    beautiful words......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so Pippa! I love that you stopped by! thanks! xo

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful post hon. I love this: "life fills me up messy". Perfection. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shannon, thanks so so much! Means oodles to me that you read my post & found a wee bit of perfection in it. xo

      Delete
  7. Hey Rebecca, I'm nominating you for Liebster Award cause I think your blog is extra special ;)
    The rules are posted in my blog!

    :) Liz @ rusticpeach.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely way to look at messy, I agree completely! Lovely words & images x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ever so much Leanne! I always appreciate the input. thanks ever so much for your note. xo

      Delete
  9. Loved your words. Knitting time provides recuperation from chaos. And it's true that if I clean slowly and mindfully, the cleaning itself calms me. Thanks for your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK you Lisa for just listening & listening & reading & reading. Means a lot to me that you keep returning & find what I write somewhat meaningful. xo

      Delete
  10. Lovely words - I agree completely! Life is all about appreciating the beauty in the mess! 'The calming of the cleaning and the clearing' rings true for me - I find it so stressful when I have a messy house, and it's very therapeutic to make sense of the clutter.
    I love that the same flower, in the same colour, is blooming in my garden and in yours. How clever the world is!
    Thank you for popping by my blog!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for your lovely & thoughtful words. It is funny how some days I don't mind the chaos (because I have learned to know when I am just too tired & also how many steps away I am from clean) & other days I the house needs total cleanliness and order. most days, I find that it is the small acts of cleaning that keep me centered. THAnK you for stopping by here! xo

      Delete
  11. Camelias are so pretty and messy! katie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so for your sweet comment Katie! have a lovely weekend. xo

      Delete

hello there! I love it so when you leave a bit of a note to let me know how you are and what you are thinking. I always love to hear about the things inspiring you and moving you through your day.

About Recently...