12 February 2014

late night, january 31st, 2014 | a letter to my oldest

who knew, stumbling upon this life of motherhood, i would love it so fiercely. nothing else has defined me as much and nothing ever will define me more. i am sure of this.

as i watch you gallop away into the arms of adolescence, i hold back little sobs of joy.
 you love. you are fiercely loyal.
 you love to argue your points.
you are slowly becoming a man.

 as much as i love this, i would, in an instance, turn back time to walk down the doors of your childhood once more. drink cup after cup after cup of cup of tea made in your pretend kitchen. bake with you, play dinosaur with you. hide out in forts with you and camp again under the stars knowing that all is right with the world.

in my dreams, i sit on the edge of a long pier. my feet are dangling off the end and as i stare off into the expanse of the mist and layers of fog lifting off the lake, i see that i have worlds of unknown lives to still live, but i don't ever want to take the plunge, i don't want to heave off the end of the pier into the water, i don't want to stop being a mother to your littleness, i don't want you to be big and me to be older. and as much as i don't want it, i know it will still happen, even if i had ten more children, it would never stop you from leaping into the unknown of adulthood, and me watching your ripples slowly slip away as you swim out of sight.

xxoo


13 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I guess even as they get older it doesn't get any easier, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the beautiful words - this is just how I feel!!!!! I have been day dreaming about the days when the oldest was little - I would love to go back, can we please just hang on to them forever. I have to say this brought mama tears to me……..
    Chey xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same. Exactly the same. You have struck such a chord with all of us I think Rebecca. Such beautiful, sweet, sad words. Oh how hard it is. And yet, this is how it must be, it is right, it is how it should be. These boys of ours, they will break our hearts just a little I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca --
    Your words, imagery, feeling evoked...so amazing. Tears streamed down my cheeks. I just emailed this to my dearest mom friends. Thank you. Thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becca --
    Your words, imagery, feeling evoked...so amazing. Tears streamed down my cheeks. I just emailed this to my dearest mom friends. Thank you. Thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful and I totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was beautifully written and touching! Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca, as the mother of two girls, one 23 and one 19, I was incredibly moved by your writing. I miss their pretend games so much.

    ReplyDelete

hello there! I love it so when you leave a bit of a note to let me know how you are and what you are thinking. I always love to hear about the things inspiring you and moving you through your day.

About Recently...